Cps is trying to pull things over my head what can i do?my kids were removed from their mother and placed with me now taken away

Asked almost 2 years ago - North Tonawanda, NY

They are now trying to use things that their mother did to them against me saying i did it. I can't get a lawyer or a free appointed lawyer because the courts refuse to give me the paperwork i need to do so, they keep saying they are going to mail it to me and they don't then they flip at court telling me i'm not showing any effort. The papers say i have 15 months to get my kids or they can be adopted since they were removed, today the lady told me they are going to take my rights away and that its been 15 months, they were taken from their mother November 2011 and from me in March 2012 so it hasn't been 15 months for either of us, what can i do with no lawyer to stop this from happening and get my kids back? they are all working against me and i don't know what to do at this point.

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Mary Katherine Brown


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . You must document every conversation or contact that you have with CPS or any court personnel. I'm not sure what "paperwork" you are being told is necessary, but it sounds like you are entitled to an appointed attorney. Unfortunately, the an attorney is not usually appointed before the first court appearance in front of a judge, and that is very late in the process. I suggest you find a way to pay for a consultation (at least) with a local attorney asap. You can find local attorneys here on Avvo. Good luck!

    Ms. Brown may be reached at 718-878-6886 during regular business hours, or anytime by email at: marykatherinebrown@... more
  2. Lawrence Allen Weinreich

    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . You need an attorney without doubt. You should try the legal aid society or call the local bar association for a list of pro bono or reduced rate attorneys.

    I hope you found this answer helpful and if so, please let me know by clicking the "Mark as Helpful" button at the bottom of this answer. It’s easy and appreciated. You can also choose a "best answer" if you wish. This is easy to do and greatly appreciated.

    This advice is not meant to create an attorney-client relationship and is a general anwer to the question posed.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

22,916 answers this week

2,951 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

22,916 answers this week

2,951 attorneys answering