Cps is trying to pull things over my head what can i do?my kids were removed from their mother and placed with me now taken away

North Tonawanda, NY |
Filed under: Child custody

They are now trying to use things that their mother did to them against me saying i did it. I can't get a lawyer or a free appointed lawyer because the courts refuse to give me the paperwork i need to do so, they keep saying they are going to mail it to me and they don't then they flip at court telling me i'm not showing any effort. The papers say i have 15 months to get my kids or they can be adopted since they were removed, today the lady told me they are going to take my rights away and that its been 15 months, they were taken from their mother November 2011 and from me in March 2012 so it hasn't been 15 months for either of us, what can i do with no lawyer to stop this from happening and get my kids back? they are all working against me and i don't know what to do at this point.

You need an attorney without doubt. You should try the legal aid society or call the local bar association for a list of pro bono or reduced rate attorneys.

I hope you found this answer helpful and if so, please let me know by clicking the "Mark as Helpful" button at the bottom of this answer. It’s easy and appreciated. You can also choose a "best answer" if you wish. This is easy to do and greatly appreciated.

This advice is not meant to create an attorney-client relationship and is a general anwer to the question posed.

You must document every conversation or contact that you have with CPS or any court personnel. I'm not sure what "paperwork" you are being told is necessary, but it sounds like you are entitled to an appointed attorney. Unfortunately, the an attorney is not usually appointed before the first court appearance in front of a judge, and that is very late in the process. I suggest you find a way to pay for a consultation (at least) with a local attorney asap. You can find local attorneys here on Avvo. Good luck!

Ms. Brown may be reached at 718-878-6886 during regular business hours, or anytime by email at: All of Ms. Brown’s responses to questions posted on AVVO are intended as general information based upon the facts stated in the question, and are provided for educational purposes of the public, not any specific individual, and her response to the question above is not legal advice and it does not create an attorney-client relationship. Ms. Brown is licensed to practice law in New York. If you would like to obtain specific legal advice about this issue, you must contact an attorney who is licensed to practice law in your state.

Child custody topics

Recommended articles about Child custody