CPS founded case but I want to adopt

Asked over 2 years ago - Amsterdam, NY

Several years ago I was reported to CPS because one of my children went to school and was talking about how he looked at his brothers private areas. The children were 11 & 8 and it happend while they were in my home in their bedroom. They were showing each other thier private areas. CPS investigated and the case was indicated on me for lack of supervision.
My husband has custody of his daughter who the mother has not been involved with for over a year. My husband has sole custody and the mother is only allowed supervised visits which she does not exercise. I want to adopt my stepdaughter but I know the biological mother will not consent.
Do I have a shot at the courts terminating her rights so I can adopt her with my past CPS indicated case?
Otherwise never been in trouble at all.

1. Mary Katherine Brown

Pro

Answered . Whether the mother's rights may be involuntarily terminated is a separate issue from whether you may be approved as an adoptive parent. Neither question can be answered without a thorough review of all the circumstances and the relevant court documents. As such, I suggest you consult with a local attorney to review all your rights, options and obligations before you take any further action. You can find attorneys in your area by searching among the profiles here on AVVO. Good luck!