Skip to main content

Court had included in our court order wednesday calls to discuss our child's upbringing

Voorhees, NJ |

so far it's only been happening for my ex to yell at me and scream at me. Any discussions or concerns I may have he shuts down. So tonight he got mad because he wants to change these calls to a different day so he can go to his summer league games. How will this play to my advantage? Can i sway the judge to not give him any more days? a weekend of his tournament falls on his weekend with her and he's not even available but will have his family take care of her.

Attorney Answers 4

  1. The judge will "play" this to your child's advantage. Not yours. At least that is the goal of all this. He may assign someone to mediate your discussions - that you will have to pay for - and come up with suggestions for the judge to resolve them. There is no one way this will "play". And if it is reasonable to change the day, the day will be changed. It is to accommodate such weekend plans in part that you HAVE your Wednesday discussions.

    This should not be considered legal advice and is intended for educational purposes only. It does not constitute a contract for legal services between any parties. Answers are given to questions for which there may be additional facts not mentioned which might change the legal issues or consequences.

  2. There is no easy answer. Essentially, you must ask yourself if it is really that important to fight this issue or merely try to work with the guy to do what's best for your children.

    NOTE: The use of the Internet for communications with the firm or this attorney will not establish an attorney-client relationship and messages containing confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent.

  3. If this is not working, you will need to file an application with the Court. If he wants to change the day for the call, and you do not agree, he would also have to file an application with the court. I am not quite sure what the court thought this weekly call would accomplish if the two of you do not get along, but it is a court order that you have to follow until it is changed.

    There are perhaps some other tools you could use to try to help resolve the conflicts and create a record of what is occurring. The obvious is email communication. Another tool that could be utilized is It can be used by both of you, and will allow you to export and print the records for any future court hearings.

    I might also recommend you ask the court to send you back to the court mediation where you will not have to pay attorneys to attend but might be able to work a resolution that is acceptable to you.

    There are never easy answers when it comes to these issues. Keep good records and get the right representation. Good luck.

    Please mark as "Helpful" or "Best Answer" if our advice helped you. I would be happy to follow up with you. Please email me directly or call my office if you would like to schedule an appointment either in person or by telephone. Disclaimer: You cannot rely on the advice of an attorney given over the internet. The exact facts of your situation, including facts which you have not mentioned in your question, may completely change the result for your situation. Please be aware that the above comments are neither protected by attorney-client privilege, nor may be the basis for a malpractice lawsuit should the suggestion be followed with undesirable results.

  4. You may wish to return to court to ask a judge to compel all communications in writing or via email/text for a paper trail.

    DISCLAIMER This answer is provided for educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you agree and understand that there is no attorney client privilege between you and the attorney responding. This site cannot be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices law in the State where this offense is charged; and, who has experience in the area of law you are asking questions about and with whom you would have an attorney client relationship. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question, or in the State where this charge is filed

Family law topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics