Court grand me visitation with my son but the mother refuses to follow and I have not see him since March.

Asked over 1 year ago - Atlanta, GA

I am full time student, I am working and paying a child support also. I have standard visitation which i suppose to pick him up from Friday 6pm and drop him back Sunday 6pm. I really need help with this I am new to this culture and i am really struggling to see my son.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Adriana Arguelles de la Torriente

    Contributor Level 10


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I would recommend speaking to an attorney as soon as possible. The longer you wait to see your child the harder it will be for your child to bond with you. Our firm offers initial consultations at a reduced hourly rate. Many firms do. I would recommend contacting us or another firm as soon as possible so that you can get back to seeing your child.

    If you cannot afford an attorney, then I recommend doing the following:
    1) Review the contempt packet in the county where you were granted visitation. I am assuming that the order was in DeKalb or Fulton since you listed Atlanta, GA as your location. If not, look for the family law forms for the other counties. If they do not have special free forms, then just review the ones below.
    2) Contact the Atlanta Bar Association Lawyer Referral and Information Service to be referred to a family law attorney in your area. They will provide you the name of an attorney who will discuss your case with you for 30 minutes for $45. Because it is a short consultation, it is very important that your review the forms below so you are prepared to ask good questions.
    3) Bring a copy of the March visitation order and a filled out petition for contempt to the appointment so the attorney can better advise you.

    Good luck!

    This post does not create an attorney client relationship. This attorney is only licensed in Georgia.
  2. Glen Edward Ashman


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . If you have court ordered visitation and it is being denied, hire a lawyer to sue the other parent for contempt of court (and possible modification).

    If you find this answer helpful, please mark it here on AVVO as helpful. In answering you, I am attempting to... more
  3. W.Phillip Mccurdy

    Contributor Level 7


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . If she is refusing to follow the court's order, she is in contempt of court. Both DeKalb and Fulton county offer pro se (representing yourself) forms online, but if you are unfamiliar with these procedures, you would be better served by consulting an attorney.

Related Topics

Visitation rights in child custody agreements

Child visitation refers to non-custodial parents' rights to visit their children. These rights are commonly detailed in a visitation plan.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

25,965 answers this week

3,044 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

25,965 answers this week

3,044 attorneys answering