Court divorce

Asked about 1 year ago - Warren, MI

can me and my wife do the divorce at the court without any filling and attorneys after she did file the divorce complaint ?

1. Jade Jozzmenia Edwards

Pro

7

Answered . You can always proceed by yourself, but it is advisable to at least consult an attorney to make sure you're not missing anything that you might be entitled to.

2. John F. Brennan

7

Answered . Yes, if you are willing to net the rest of your life you can do it right. I think you are being foolish, and if I am engaged to correct you error it will cost more than doing it right the first time. Your choice, your risk.

3. Peter L. Conway

5

Answered . Setting aside the procedural difficulties (where to go and what to do) divorce is more complex than it may appear. That is why it is to your advantage to at least consult with a lawyer so that you know what you are entitled to. Your wife would be wise to consult a lawyer also. Depending on your income and whether the divorce is contentious, you may be able to get some assistance from legal aid. In your area, you could contact Lakeshore Legal Aid.
    Mr. Brennan is correct that if you make a mistake it may either haunt you for the rest of your life, or cost more to correct than it would have to have done it right in the first place.

4. Nancy Loukus Ballast

Pro

5

Answered . I agree with attorney Brennan. It's your right to proceed in court - but since you're not aware of the system and what rights you have that may be at risk, you should hire an attorney. Rights to spend time with your children, where your children live, what property of the marriage you might be able to keep: these are all important to you now, it makes sense to protect them so you can rest easy at night, and not have to fix it later.

5. Myra Chack Fleischer

6

Answered . Yes you can do it yourself.

6. David B. Carter Jr.

Pro

3

Answered . You can proceed by your self but you will need to still file a judgment.