Court date tmrw for a speeding ticket but i can't get to va..what is the result of missing the court date? what r my options?

Bridgeport, CT |

I got my first speeding ticket and was out of my home state and country since receiving the ticket. when i returned home i received a letter notifying me that if i did not pay by a certain date then my license would be suspended. I immediately called va court to see what my options were. I originally asked for an extended payment and a rehearing but was told that if i do the rehearing then i don't need the extended payment forms. I wasn't told i had to chose one or the other. i have a court date 2mrw but will not make it to va. i spoke to someone at the va court who said the judge will just mark my case as guilty and everything will stay the same...I will not go to jail and the amount of the ticket remains the same. is this true or false? what are my options?

1. If you do not appear for your court date, the judge will enter a default judgment against you. There should not be any additional fines attached for failing to appear. You can still request the extended payment forms.

2. If you do not appear for your court date, the judge will enter a default judgment against you. There should not be any additional fines attached for failing to appear. You can still request the extended payment forms.

3. You really should consult with an attorney in Virginia. I would not necessarily trust the advise of an out of state attorney.
    For example, as a Connecticut attorney, I know that if you do not deal with the ticket properly, your license will be suspended and you would not be able to get it reinstated until you reopen the matter (and then ultimately deal with it). I would be concerned for you that the file closure for failing to appear could risk your operating privileges in VA and also impact your license in Connecticut.

4. As I write this answer, you can appeal your conviction to the next level of court (Circuit Court) if you are not happy with the outcome because you have 10 days to file a notice of appeal (an automatic absolute appeal right).

The Traffic Court (General District Court) will send your conviction order to VA DMV and assess points pursuant to VA DMV policy (3 points [1-9 over], 4 points [10-19 over] or 6 points [20+ over OR if Reckless Driving Speeding]) and you will now have a VA DMV "record." VA DMV will send a copy of the conviction order to CT DMV. Typically, most states will accept such conviction order and your home state's DMV will take action as if the conviction was in-state.