Court appointed attorney for the children

Filed under: Professional ethics

I had a case heard in family court last month. The court appointed attorney for the kids made a recommendation to have the children placed with the grandparents before she even talked with the kids. Both kids did not want to go to the grandparents yet she said she was not going to remove the recommendation at all. Everything brought into court was all heat say with no evidence. Do I have a right to talk with the kids attorney to find out what is going on since I don't have a attorney. I have a court hearing coming up next month. I have not been found guilty of anything.

Are you a relative or a parent of the child? What type of court proceeding (Juvenile Dependency or Probate)? Technically speaking, if you are not represented by counsel, the attorney can speak with you. However, you may want to consult with an attorney to see if that is the best strategy you should take. Though, without knowing more information, it would be difficult for any attorney to give you a complete answer.

None of the information on this site constitutes legal advice. It is an ad for attorney services. The attorneys at DeDecker & Meltzer are licensed attorneys in the state of California. The information is intended to be general in nature as there are many laws and regulations not mentioned on this site that may apply to your situation. No attorney-client relationship is created between you and the Law Office of DeDecker & Meltzer unless a signed written fee agreement exists. You should not rely or act upon the information provided on this site without seeking the advice from an attorney.

It's in family court. My fiancé is the father to one child and step father to the other. He got legal custody of his step daughter. The step daughter made a lot of false allegations against my fiancé and that's what the kids attorney went by even though the son and social services found none of the allegations to be true. We don't want to take back the step daughter we only want his son back. The son was placed with his step daughters grandparents in which the son doesn't know them.

Yes, you are free to talk with the kids' attorney. He does not have to talk to you however, unless you have some involvement with the case, such as one of the parents.

You should discuss this with your attorney or get one to make sure your rights are protected.

Yes you do although I'd hire a lawyer to consult with or represent you to determine the best course of action.

Ms. Johns can be reached at her Woodland Hills and San Diego offices at (866) 402-4038. Her email is hjohns@hjohnsatlaw.com and her office does offer free telephone consultations to Avvo askers. Ms. Johns is a lawyer although she is not your lawyer unless you have consulted with her and signed a fee or letter agreement confirming her representation of you. This Avvo response does not otherwise create a binding attorney client fee agreement. Ms. Johns and her employees are not tax or financial advisors and do not give tax or financial advice of any kind. For such advice, it is recommended that you consult with a tax or financial professional in that field.

Professional ethics topics