Country of origin on products?

Asked about 2 years ago - Gainesville, FL

I use to get one county named on my frozen produce an county of origin, now there are more than one listed on the same bag.
Also with supplements herbs or otherwise are there laws stating the one country that they are made or raised, some will, but very few.
I feel entitled to know this. Do the supplement co. have to know and tell if you phone them? And why has the produce bags changed from one to several? Some fresh produce, organic, will have a seal saying country and sometimes even a phone number for the produce farm.

1. Laura Mcfarland-Taylor

2

Answered . The rules regarding "country of origin" are complex and depend on both state/federal law and the requirements of the country of importation. You can always call and ask, but a company is under no obligation to tell you unless the law requires them to do so. You can contact the U.S. Department of Agriculture for more information: www.usda.gov

If we do not have a signed fee agreement I am not your attorney and this is not legal advice.
  2. Mark Alan Mackin

1

Answered . Some companies dont much care, and only do the minimum the law requires. Others are concerned with COO issues, depending upon their distributor or consumer market. Organic consumers insist on this information, and since it is fairly easy to provide, the buyers get what they want.
    Your Congressional representatives have the most influence over this. Contact them.