Countering a petition for guardianship of my two children petitioner lied

Asked over 1 year ago - Clinton Corners, NY

I went to have my medication adjusted at the emergency room, my ex went the same day and petitioned for guardianship of my two youngest children and got it by saying that I had been hospitilized........I have discharge papers showing I wasn't what can I do?

1. Howard M Lewis

Pro

7

12

Answered . attorney Lebowitz gave you an outstanding order. you need to contest this matter and file affirmative pleadings explaining the situation, attaching the evidence, please work with a local attny he or she will protect you. take care.

2. Jack Richard Lebowitz

Pro

7

1

Answered . Guardianship? Do you mean sole physical custody? If your ex went and petitioned the court for custody without you present, assuming you had custody by a previous order or simply consent or an agreement between you two, he or she must have done that by an Order to Show Cause, which is an "emergency" kind of petition where only one party has to be present to get a temporary order.

In that instance, I'd presume there will be a hearing to determine permanent custody. You don't say whether you made safe arrangements for your children when you were hospitalized or whether some kind of intervention was needed to prevent "neglect", but that may be a factor.

In any event, there is probably going to be a further hearing about permanent custody, and if not, you can petition to modify the order that has been issued. You should see a family court attorney practicing in Duchess County. You can find one with the "Find a Lawyer" tab on this site and read his/her profile or use a Google search for Family Court attorneys in Duchess County.

3. Edwin Drantivy

Pro

5

Answered . Retain a New York guardianship lawyer and oppose the Petition. You may need to call the Supreme or Surrogate's Court in your county to find out exactly where your court appearance will be located. Good luck!

4. David Ivan Bliven

Pro

4

Answered . Do you have any prior orders? Was the medication for a physical or psychological ailment? One thing you can do is prepare & file an Answer to the petition and attach as an exhibit the discharge summary. In any event, highly suggest that you schedule a follow-up consultation with a Dutchess/Westchester Child Custody lawyer.

* If you found my answer to be helpful, or the "best answer," please feel free to mark it accordingly.
  5. Marco Caviglia

Pro

3

Answered . There are a number of issues to determine how quickly your ex can be defeated in what was done. Since I am in Dutchess and know the courts, you might wish to call me on this and we can discuss it.