Could this psychologist have done something illegal?

Asked almost 2 years ago - San Jose, CA

A close friend is under court appointed conservatorship due to dementia. His former trustee tried to get me out of the picture and I suspect he tried to do it through the neuropsychologist my friend had at that time.

This neuropsychologist declared me to be a "detriment" to my friend's recovery and forbade me from having any contact with him. My concern became for his psychological well being since he and I have a close friendship.

I filed a complaint with the state board of psychology but was informed they could do nothing without the signed consent of the patient. In the meanwhile his trustee and neuropsychologist were removed after my friend complained about possible abuse.

Question: Who else could I file a complaint against this neuropsychologist and also his former trustee?

1. Janet Lee Brewer

Pro

3

1

Best Answer

Answered . If you believe there was abuse, then you can report it anonymously to the County Adult Protective Services Agency in the county where your friend lives. It sounds, though, as if that might already have happened if the trustee and the neuropsychologist were "removed".

Here's a link for the Santa Clara County APS: http://www.sccgov.org/sites/ssa/Department%20of...

2. Christine C McCall

Pro

3

Answered . As I see it, you lack standing here to make complaints about anyone involved on any basis. Exactly what the State licensing agency already told you. Unless you have been appointed conservator for your friend, under the law you are entitled to no confidential or personal information about your friend or your friend's cases or legal matters, and you have no legal standing to interject yourself into any of your friend's legal or medical (psychiatric or psychological) disputes or issues.

3. Eric Jerome Gold

Pro

1

Answered . My colleagues are correct. Unless you have a legal tie to your close friend, you lack standing to make complaints on his behalf. As for filing another complaint about the former trustee and or the neuropsychologist, you could make an anonymous complaint. Good luck.