Could their be a class action suit against the centers that received fungal meningitis tainted vials of steroid medication?

The center in Pensacola Florida where I received spinal injections, one in July & one in August, for back pain, was noted in the CDC's list of centers what had indeed received tainted vials. I found the name of the center on CDC's list 10/08/2012. It was not until 10/31/2012 before I received a letter from the center stating they did not use tainted vials. Having heard several had lost their lives due to the contamination and having already gone through the physical and mental punishment of meningitis and encephalitis due to a prior illness I laid in fear until I received the letters. I sat in fear of a fatal illness for weeks. Does the center listed by the CDC need to notify patients within a specific time frame? Can they be sued for not notifying patients in a timely manner?

Gulf Breeze, FL -

Eric Lechtzin

Eric Lechtzin

Class Action Attorney - Philadelphia, PA

According to the CDC, there have been 25 cases of Meningitis reported in Florida. Numerous class action lawsuits have been commenced in connection with this outbreak. You should contact a class action lawyer immediately to find out if you qualify to participate in one of these cases and to protect your rights.

Adam Troy Savett

Adam Troy Savett

Class Action Attorney - El Segundo, CA

The existing federal lawsuits (both class actions and individual cases) have already been coordinated in Massachusetts. It is very likely that any newly filed cases would also be transferred there as well.

Your issue sounds like it may be very individualized - your fear was based on your prior illness. Others may not have had the same fears.

Also, in general, "fear" or mental anguish claims are much harder to bring successfully than personal injury claims.

You should talk with a personal injury or class action lawyer and they will be able to evaluate any potential claims you have and the proper way to bring them.

Best of luck.

Related Advice