Could the judge possibly allow me to explain myself at my arraignment?

Asked over 1 year ago - Cerritos, CA

I was in a neighborhood with the nose of my car next to a house and the rear next to the sidewalk of a park; both my passenger and I were each given tickets for trespassing after park hours as pedestrians. I fully understand the process of the arraignment, pretrial hearing, and trial. However, I was wondering what the chances are that the judge would hear our cases out at the arraignment, seeing how we have no priors and the charge is fairly minor. My passenger's arraignment is a few days before mine, and she asked if I could come in as a her witness. Would a judge even allow that? Would I have to call the courthouse beforehand? I am also planning on bringing pictures of where my car was parked. We both plan to plea not guilty.

1. Joseph Salvatore Farina

9

1

Best Answer

Answered . No. The purpose of an arraignment is inform you of the charges to you and ask if you can afford an attorney. The judge knows nothing about your case, so explaining anything to him or her would be a waste of time. And it only slows the process down, which is designed to get through all the cases on calendar and irritates the judge. Wait until you get an attorney appointed and he can explain to the judge your side of the story.

2. Neil James Fraser

4

1

Answered . No. The judge will not allow that. If you wish to contest the case, trial is the appropriate time to do so.

3. Stephen Troy Allen

3

1

Answered . I agree.. And anything you say will be part of a record. The DA may take notes and you could end up with a court full of witnesses against you. Get an attorney like the others have said..

4. Alan James Brinkmeier

4

1

Answered . There is a time and place for everything. I would not say anything to the judge at arraignment other then entry of your not guilty plea.

You can't win the case now. So....wait until time comes.