Could the criminal solicitation laws and the unenforced adultery laws be used to prosecute spammers? (See details below.)

Note: This concerns e-mail that is sent nationally, giving every state the jurisdiction to prosecute the senders for what is sent to their state. Therefore, the location listed is arbitrary. Lawyers from any state may respond to say whether prosecution is possible in their state.] In many states, there are still laws that make adultery a crime, although they are not widely enforced. Also, there are laws that prohibit encouraging a person to commit a crime. There is a lot of spam that tells recipients to cheat on their spouses or to do something with cheating wives. This got me thinking: Even in states that don't enforce their adultery laws, could they still crack down on spam by prosecuting the senders of the spam for unlawfully soliciting potential customers to commit adultery?

New York, NY -

Eric Edward Rothstein

Eric Edward Rothstein

Criminal Defense Attorney - New York, NY

Which states still have adultery laws on the books?

Peter Christopher Lomtevas

Peter Christopher Lomtevas

Family Law Attorney - Brooklyn, NY

Sending seductive spam is not criminal solicitation and the sender does not know a recipent is married. So your idea flubs.

Michael Charles Doland

Michael Charles Doland

Business Attorney - Los Angeles, CA

Avvo is not a legal discussion forum.
You would probably love law school.

Jayson Lutzky

Jayson Lutzky

Divorce / Separation Lawyer - Bronx, NY

Retain local counsel in each jurisdiction or go to law school.

Related Advice