Could Permanent residency be maintained while working abroad?

Asked 12 months ago - Dearborn, MI

I am a permanent resident and my company offered me an Expat position. I heard that there is a process or application to maintain legal permanent residency while living and working abroad. I have 2 more years left to get my citizenship.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Alexander Joseph Segal


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Live your 2 more years out in the US, get naturalized then work wherever you want. Alternative - live in a constant concern of loosing your CG.

    NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866)... more
  2. Lisa A. Tehlirian


    Contributor Level 13


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Yes, there is an Application to Preserve Residence for Naturalization Purposes. I would advise speaking to an experienced immigration attorney to determine if you qualify for such an application.

    Lisa Tehlirian, Attorney -- Ellis Porter, PLC 2701 Troy Center Dr., 410 Troy, MI 48084 Phone: 248-519-9900... more
  3. Myron Russell Morales


    Contributor Level 16


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . You should also consider file an application for a reentry permit as this is the best evidence that you did not intend on abandoning your status while you were outside of the U.S.

    This answer is not to be construed as legal advice. For a free telephone consultation, contact us now at:... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

27,342 answers this week

2,931 attorneys answering

Legal Dictionary

Don't speak legalese? We define thousands of terms in plain English.

Browse our legal dictionary