Skip to main content

Could my statement on the court change the fact about my I-20/student visa termination ?

Dallas, TX |

I stated that I was out of status since May 1, 2010 by a mistake to the immigration judge
as i was really confused.. but in reality I was out of status after september 13,2010 thats when my advisor said that they are gonna have to terminate my I-20/F-1 student visa then
i filed asylum within 72 days less than 180 days to not being stucked on 3/10 year bar..I took the Voluntary Departure and left the country on the date of September 25, 2012....My papers from the court says May 1, 2010 ( so I have unlawful presence for 219 days)
and my college says after september 13,2010 that they are gonna report me to the USCIS (so I have unlawful presence for 72 days) so my question is that the determination would be by USCIS or the court about my unlawful presence? thanks for the answers in advance

Attorney Answers 2


The 3- and 10- year bar is triggered by unlawful presence, not unlawful status. Unlawful presence in your case would accumulate from the time that USCIS told you in writing that you were out of status and had to leave the country until USCIS (or the COurt) received your asylum application.

Andrew M. Bramante, Rosner Partners, 216-771-5588. Free telephone consultation. You should always consult with an experienced immigration attorney to make certain that the advice you received is appropriate for your particular immigration case.

Mark as helpful

1 found this helpful

4 lawyers agree


Your status terminates when you stop attending college plus the grace period

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.

Mark as helpful

1 found this helpful

3 lawyers agree

Immigration topics

Recommended articles about Immigration

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics