Could my statement on the court change the fact about my I-20/student visa termination ?

Asked over 1 year ago - 75244

I stated that I was out of status since May 1, 2010 by a mistake to the immigration judge
as i was really confused.. but in reality I was out of status after september 13,2010 thats when my advisor said that they are gonna have to terminate my I-20/F-1 student visa then
i filed asylum within 72 days less than 180 days to not being stucked on 3/10 year bar..I took the Voluntary Departure and left the country on the date of September 25, 2012....My papers from the courty says May 1, 2010 ( so I have unlawful presence for 219 days)
and my college says after september 13,2010 that they are gonna report me to the USCIS (so I have unlawful presence for 72 days) so my question is that the determination would be by USCIS or the court about my unlawful presence? thanks for the answers in advance

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Alexander Joseph Segal

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . This is a repost

    NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866)... more
  2. Andrew Marino Bramante

    Contributor Level 15


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . See my other answer.

    Andrew M. Bramante, Rosner Partners, 216-771-5588. Free telephone consultation. You should always consult with... more

Related Topics


If you want to visit or move permanently to the US, you'll want to learn about your different immigration options.

Adjustment of status

When a person in the United States changes his or her immigration status to permanent resident, this is called "adjustment of status."

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

26,467 answers this week

3,047 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

26,467 answers this week

3,047 attorneys answering