Could my future husband adopt my child thus terminating future rights of biological father?

Columbus, GA |

I became pregnant by my former fiance. According to my consulting psychologist, he likely has an Axis II personality disorder. I instructed the father that the only way I would feel comfortable with him seeing child is if he sought psychological evaluation. He refused and moved out of the country. I have received no financial support. He is not on the birth certificate. I last saw him when I was 8 weeks pregnant. He last tried to contact me and my parents in December 2012 at which time I told him again to not contact me until he has followed the appropriate steps. I have a major concern for my sons safety given the lack of trust of this man and events that have transpired. There has been no filing for legitimation. Could my future husband adopt my son who is now 18 months?

By that I mean, once I am married, could the step-parent (my husband) adopt? If the father is supposedly out of the country how does that work?

No, but when he becomes your husband he can file for a step parent adoption. After the wedding, contact an experienced adoption attorney in the county where you live.

I am exclusively a family law attorney, practicing primarily in the metro Atlanta, Georgia trial courts. However, I handle appeals from anywhere in Georgia.

Not now. If he adopts the child before you are married, your rights would be terminated.

After your marriage, very possibly, yes (some courts will want you to be married for a period of time to show stability first). Even though the bio-dad has not legitimated the child, he still could potentially pose a problem. He will have to be served unless he consents and his parental rights terminated.

Step one to all this is to retain a good lawyer after you get married. Adoption law is complex and you need an experienced lawyer.

If you find this answer helpful, please mark it here on AVVO as helpful. In answering you, I am attempting to communicate general legal information and am not representing you (and am not your lawyer). Do feel free to call me at 404-768-3509 if you wish to discuss actual representation (the phone call also does not retain counsel; that requires an office visit and appropriate paperwork). In that a forum such as this provides me with limited details and doesn't allow me to review details and documents, it is possible that answers here, while meant to be helpful, may in some cases not be complete or accurate, and I highly recommend that you retain legal counsel rather than rely on the answers here. (You can also email my office at geaatl@msn.com . An email also does not retain my office, but can help you get an appointment set if you prefer not to call). I am happy to discuss possible representation with you. Any information in this communication is for discussion purposes only, and is not offered as legal advice. There is no right to rely on the information contained in this communication and no attorney-client relationship is formed. Nothing in my answer should be considered as tax-advice. To ensure compliance with IRS Circular 230, any U.S. federal tax advice provided in this communication is not intended or written to be used, and it cannot be used by the recipient or any other taxpayer (i) for the purpose of avoiding tax penalties that may be imposed on the recipient or any other taxpayer, or (ii) in promoting, marketing or recommending to another party a partnership or other entity, investment plan, arrangement or other transaction addressed herein. I am also required to advise you, if your question concerns bankruptcy, that the U.S. Congress has designated Ashman Law Office as a debt relief agency that can help people file bankruptcy.

I agree with my colleagues’ answers that if you want to retain your rights to your son, under Georgia law, you will need to wait until after your marriage for your future husband to file for a step-parent adoption. I also agree that adoptions are very delicate cases. You want to make sure that the adoption is done properly. For the protection of your son, you should seek the assistance of an adoption attorney to help you through the process.

Because you were not married to the biological father at the time of the conception and birth of your child, and because his name is not on the birth certificate and he has not chosen to legitimate your child yet, it sounds as if he will be considered a biological father under Georgia law as opposed to a legal father.

There are different criteria depending on his legal status. If he is simply a biological father, Georgia law requires that he be served with notice of the adoption. If 30 days go by after he is served and he does nothing, then the court can terminate his rights without his written consent.

Because he is out of the country, though, you want to make sure that you choose an attorney who has experience in serving birth parents internationally, as other laws and treaties often apply to this process. My office handles these cases regularly. If we can be of assistance, do not hesitate to call us.

Additionally, the most important thing you can give your son is his complete medical history. Above all else try to get a complete history from the father - we never know what the future brings and the more that you can learn about his condition, the better prepared you can be to help your son when he is older if any similar symptoms arise.

I hope you found this answer helpful and if so, please let me know by clicking the "Mark as Helpful" button at the bottom of this answer. It’s easy and appreciated.

I am licensed to practice solely in Georgia, and do not intend to give legal advice or create a lawyer/client relationship. Please consult an attorney in your state for detailed advice on your legal question.

Child adoption topics