Skip to main content

Could my child's father get sole custody ? And make me pay him child support?

74110 |

He has a criminal record burglary second degree and I have had my child since she was born

Attorney Answers 3

  1. Where's your confidence? If someone else told you those facts and asked your opinion, what would you say to them? ;-)

  2. You need to get a free consultation with an attorney. There are too many factors involved in a custody/child support decision to be able to evaluate your question properly. Get in with an attorney, tell them whats going on, and they can advise as to how seriously you need to take any threats he may be making.

  3. Clearly, to file for custody, there must be some underlying basis that he is alleging. On the surface, his case does not look to be compelling, but in fairness, I cannot advise you to simply ignore his potential claim. Go see a local attorney, consult with him or her, and do not be shy about letting counsel be aware of any potential issues which might be raised in the litigation. Never underestimate an opponent. Obtain good counsel, and that's how you win. Be prepared. Good luck.

    The answers to questions provided in response to the request for assistance are general in nature, and reflect information which is primarily based upon general legal principals, and may additionally reflect Ohio principles of legal practice, as this is the primary location of this Attorney's practice. As with any legal advice, the advise is general in character, and should not be put into practice without specifically consulting your local counsel, who will possess far more insight into the applicable standards and laws of your specific State, your case's specific issues and the local Rules of Court and practices of the specific jurisdiction your legal action is governed by. You are specifically instructed : Do not proceed without first discussing this matter with your own local Attorney. This Office does not provide free legal advice by telephone. A 15 Minute Consultation can be obtained at no cost for certain types of legal cases, but to obtain same, an Office appointment is required. Provision of the answers to general questions does not constitute an act of representation, and the Attorney shall not be deemed to accept employment based upon the responses contained herein. The reader is advised that they utilize the general suggestions contained in the responses at their own risk, and under no circumstances should they disregard the advise of their present local legal counsel based upon any suggestions or opinions contained herein. Also, the bast method to discuss a case with an attorney is to do so directly, by scheduling a formal consultation in their office, bringing with you at the time of the meeting all of your relevant paperwork, including any contratcs, any Orders from Court, decrees, complaints, pleadings, etc., and any other relevant information for the attorney to review. General information via the internet is no substitute for an actual meeting with an attorney. The advice provided on line in response to the limited information is provided without charge. It is also provided without the benefit of face to face discussions, so before you act--consult an attorney in person.

Family law topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics