Skip to main content

Could j2 visa work with his/her permission while applying for i485 or needs to apply for another work permission base on i485?

San Antonio, TX |

J-visa has work permission base on j visa now wants to apply for i485 does she/he needs to apply for renew work permission base on i485 pending

Attorney Answers 1


If your J visa is valid for employment you can use it. Once you apply for the I-485, together with the I-765 and you will get a work permit in 90 days. Is that your question?

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees




Thanks for your reply. Really it is not my question exactly. My wife has valid visa until 2014 and also has work permission until that time so there is no any problem regards her j-2 visa. I want to know that if she wants to apply for I-485 can she still continue her work with her work permission obtained based on j-2 visa or she should apply for another work permission.

Haroen Calehr

Haroen Calehr


Well, when she applies for her I-485, usually at the same time one also apply for the work permit called the EAD. It however takes 90 days to obtain it. The J-2 can still be used to work until the EAD is issued from her I-485. Then she could switch. Under what basis is she applying for the I-485? As a derivative dependent through you?



Thanks for your reply. If I understand correct, she can continue based on EAD work permission obtained from j-2 visa. As you mentioned she is applying for I-485 as a derivative dependent. To apply for I-485, I should send my application to TSC and for wife to Chicago, Am I correct?

Immigration topics

Recommended articles about Immigration

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics