Could I take another J-1 visa from another institution

Asked over 1 year ago - Yorktown Heights, NY

I'm a Ph.D. student under J-1 visa with two yrs constraint. Could I take another J-1 from a private research institution (which is not my current university) after finishing my Ph.D. and my academic training.

1. Alexander Joseph Segal

5

Answered . You start by talking to that university and asking this question first.

2. Anu Gupta

Pro

2

Answered . You have a home residency requirement. You should talk with the DSO. Certain times, as long as you are still in J1, you can stay. Certain times, you need to file for a waiver.

3. John Grayson Davidson

Pro

2

Answered . Have you spoken to your DSO?

4. Brian Christopher Schmitt

Pro

Answered . This is a very complex situation. An exchange visitor may transfer from one program sponsor to another if the purpose of the transfer is to complete the objective for which he or she was admitted to exchange visitor status and if the exchange visitor remains within the same participant category.

Before beginning the transfer process, an exchange visitor should discuss his or her plans with the responsible officer or assistant responsible officer of both programs, make a definite decision about the transfer, and make sure all parties involved have agreed on the date of the transfer.

Certain programs, especially those sponsored by government or nonprofit agencies, may have a program interest in limiting the stay of exchange visitors under their sponsorship and may be unwilling to set a transfer effective date in SEVIS to begin the transfer process.

If you can’t transfer, you can exit the united states and reenter the United States to begin a new program.

There are many other complex issues involved in such a transfer. I recommend you consult with a lawyer that has specific experience in J-1 matters, who also has a subscription to the NAFSA Adviser’s Manual. NAFSA is considered the best and definitive source of information for this kind of situation.

Brian Schmitt
    Hake & Schmitt
    Attorneys at Law
    P.O. Box 540 (419 Main St.), New Windsor, Maryland 21776
    Phone: 410-635-3337
    http://www.hake.com/pc/

Required Disclaimer: This information is generalized and should not be relied upon as legal advice; and this communication does not create an attorney-client relationship.