Could I switch to H1B When I applying for Green Card on L1B status?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Milwaukee, WI

I'm working in USA under L1B now. My company will begin the Green Card applying process for me soon, but it takes long time(may be 5 or 6 years) when my L1B VISA expired. So, When I applying for Green Card on L1B status, could I switch to H1B? Can Green Card filling process cause any problem in COS L1B-H1B? If I can switch to H1B, would we have to re-do any part of the Green Card applying process? Or will whatever processes we started while on L1-B keep going after we switched to H1-B?

1. Erik CJ Anderson

3

Answered . As a general rule, you are permitted to change your status from L-1 to H-1B during the pendency of your employment based green card matter. Ideally, this change will occur before you begin your 5th year of L-1 status so as to position you best for post 6th year extensions of your H-1B visa. Keep in mind that any H-1B petition will likely be subject to the annual H-1B cap, so consult with your employer and plan ahead.

2. Stephen D. Berman

Answered . Yes, if you are still in valid nonimmigrant status you can change to H1b assuming such visas are available and you are qualified for the visa.

3. Neil Ian Fleischer

1

Answered . Ye, you can do that, but planning is required

www.immigrate2usa.com

4. F. J. Capriotti III

Answered . Possible? Yes

Good idea? Probably not.

Talk to the lawyer that will be processing the greencard papers.