Could i sue my mother for emotional distress?

Asked about 2 years ago - Ocala, FL

I'm 15 living in them state of florida. Please don't find me pathetic because of my age and it's not over an argument. For about 4 years now my mother attacks me for little things like having the music a little too loud or wanting to spend time with a boy/friends, both physically and verbally. She also is always threatening to send me away for thinks I cannot help. There is a lot more. It has now come to the point where I don't want to even be home after school or be home when she comes home from work. I fear walking into her path. Please tell me what i would need to do and if i can even do anything. Thank you.

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Robert Jason De Groot


    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . In order to sue for intentional infliction of emotional distress the conduct must be outrageous and the affect must be severe. You cannot do that on these facts. Being very annoyed with parents and rebelling is a phase that I went through as a teenager, it is common. What concerns me is physical abuse. You can call the abuse hotline and report it. It is probably best to have a long talk. It is probably also best for you to make some reasonable goals and work toward them.

    R. Jason de Groot, Esq., 386-337-8239

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

28,751 answers this week

3,170 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

28,751 answers this week

3,170 attorneys answering