Could I sue for defamation, slander or libel?

Webster, MA |

I was arrested recently and the local police released my mugshot photo as well as the charges brought against me on their FACEBOOK page, effectively painting me as a scumbag in the public eye. Multiple people from my town commented and insulted me. To add, I was 17 at the time of the arrest. Can I sue the police department? Or the people publicly humiliating me?

1. Probably no real chance of winning. Fortunately, you're 17, and the teasing should pass if you stay out of trouble.

I am licensed in New Mexico and Pennsylvania, and therefore any discussion of issues related to other states must considered within that context. In addition, my comments are not intended to create a legal representation but merely to respond to the limited facts presented by the question. Any opinion herein is not meant as a precise statement of legal rights or as a recommendation of any particular course of action. A more complete legal review can be obtained through local counsel.

Police misconduct topics