COULD I HIRE A LAWYER TO DROP CHARGES?

Asked 12 months ago - Corpus Christi, TX

MY BROTHER IN LAW PUT ASSAULT CHARGES ON MY HUSBAND, MY BROTHER IN LAW WANT TO DROP THE CHARGES, THE SITUATION IS THAT HE WORKS 12 HOURS IN THE REFINERIES AND HE IS UNABLE TO GO TO THE POLICE DEPARTMENT TO DROP THEM, BUT HE HAD MADE A NOTARIZED LETTER SAYING HE WANTS ALL CHARGES DROPPED.

1. Daniel Nelson Deasy

9

Answered . Sadly, it is not up to your brother-in-law, but rather, the prosecutors. The government brings charges, not citizens.

A criminal defense attorney is a must for anyone facing real criminal charges.

2. Theodor Kaplun

7

Answered . Your brother-in-law does not bring charges, the DA and the State bring them, so no he cannot drop the charges.

3. James Regan

Pro

4

Answered . Your husband is presumed innocent until proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt. Get him an attorney to attempt to exonerate him.

Educational purposes answer. | FACDL.org | NACDL.org | Defendme.net | twitter.com/JReganLLM | Non-privileged answer.
  4. Evan Edward Pierce-Jones

1

Answered . My suggestion is for your husband to get his lawyer to get with your brother in law to get the statement. Your husband's lawyer almost certainly can get that statement to the prosecutor if it is favorable. That's not a big deal for a competent criminal defense lawyer.

What the prosecutor does after that is the prosecutor's decision to make.