Could I file for slander if someone is make ridiculous and untrue statements about me over social media?

Asked about 1 year ago - Jacksonville, FL

Former friend is using twitter and Facebook to say ridiculous and completely untrue things. Even going so far as to try and twist my name to mean something or fit into a negative statement. Is there a case for slander?

1. Kevin Wesley Wimberly

3

1

Answered . Defamation ("slander" if oral, "libel" if written) typically requires that someone publish a false statement of fact about you to a third party. "Ridiculous" things such as "Betsy is such an a**hole" are generally not actionable because Betsy is most likely not a literal a**hole. That is called rhetorical hyperbole, and the First Amendment protects such statements. If, however, your tormentors are saying factually inaccurate things, such as "Betsy stole a car last Friday," then you may have the beginning of a defamation case (presuming Betsy did not steal a car last Friday).

However, as the other attorneys have written, you need to show some damages. While some defamatory statements may come with a presumption of damage (i.e. if someone defames you with regard to your business), damages may be hard to prove if you are just talking about schoolyard name-calling.

You should also use Google to search for "Streisand effect."

(p.s. Avvo made me use asterisks for "objectionable content.")

2. Aaron James Irving

Pro

3

Answered . Suing under a theory of defamation is hard, simply because you have to show you suffered some type of damage.

Not to say that a strongly worded demand letter placing them on notice won't do the trick.

www.integritylawjax.com

3. Andrew Michael Bonderud

2

1

Answered . It sounds like you would be well-served by a written cease & desist letter to your former friend.

4. Andrew Mark Jaffe

Pro

3

Answered . Law suits are very expensive (30K and up) and the reward is probably not worth it. Especially since you will need to show damages to recover an award.

You could have a lawyer write a Cease and Desist letter for you. While it has very little legal force, it would put the other party on notice you are not going to sit still for their nonsense.

You may want to discuss your situation with a lawyer in more detail. Most lawyers on Avvo, including myself, offer a free phone consultation.
    _________________
    Andrew M. Jaffe
    Attorney at Law
    Practice Limited to E-Commerce and Internet Law
    attorneyjaffe@aol.com
    330-666-5026 www.netlaws.us