Could I face criminal charges for having a fake social security number?

Stone Mountain, GA |

I'm working with a fake social security number and I want to know if it will be a problem for me for having a fake social security number.

You leave a lot of information out -- and probably rightfully so. If you are using a fake social security number to get and use credit you might be committing fraud and subject to criminal prosecution. If you have a fake social security number and are using it to "impress a girl or guy" there might not be a problem, but your question has a lot of information that is lacking.

I suggest that you contact a criminal lawyer -- communications to a lawyer are covered by attorney client privilige and they will be able to assist you in more depth.

According to USDOJ, some of the potential penalties include:

— Using false documents to be employed: A maximum penalty of 10 years without parole in federal prison and a fine up to $250,000.
— Making a false statement on an I-9: A maximum penalty of 5 years in federal prison without parole and a fine up to $250,000.
— Misusing a Social Security number: A maximum penalty of 5 years in federal prison without parole and a fine up to $250,000.
— Making a false claim of resident alien status: A maximum penalty of 5 years in federal prison without parole and a fine up to $250,000.
— Using false documents with intent to defraud the United States: A maximum penalty of 15 years in federal prison without parole and a fine up to $250,000.
— Possession of false United States documents: A maximum penalty of 15 years in federal prison without parole and a fine up to $250,000.
— Aggravated identity theft: A mandatory penalty of 2 years in federal prison to run consecutively to any other sentence, and a fine up to $250,000.
Immigration and Customs Enforcement investigated both cases. Assistant U.S. Attorney Brent Anderson is prosecuting both cases

Yes, this is going to be a violation of both state and federal law. It would be advisable to cease using the false information immediately.