Could i claim a 401k of my fathers'?

Asked over 1 year ago - Lubbock, TX

My father was once a U.S citizen, he is now deported. He got incarserated when i was 3 months old, my mother never recieved financial help from him, is there any way i could recieve this 401k now that he is no longer in the U.S?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Adam Kielich

    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . No, your father is still entitled to his account. He could see if he has the opportunity to cash out the plan and give it to your mother.

  2. Steven John Clausen


    Contributor Level 16


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . No. It is his property.

  3. Celia R Reed

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . If your father is alive, he is entitled to the 401(k) account.

    Please note that I am answering this question as a service through Avvo but not as your attorney and no attorney-... more

Related Topics

Employee 401k plans

Employee 401k plans are common retirement benefits. Employers may match a percentage of employee contributions to the plan to encourage retirement saving.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

17,946 answers this week

2,363 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

17,946 answers this week

2,363 attorneys answering