Skip to main content

Could I be excused from being supeoned as a witness if I am disabled with Schizoaffective disorder ?

Atlanta, GA |
Filed under: Subpoena

I am disabled with Schizoaffective disorder (cross between Schizophrenia and Bipolar I with psychotic features). Sometimes its hard for me to distinguish imagination, memory and reality. I also have severe anxiety in which I dissociate from my self and lose control of self. Could I possibly be excused from witness court and what would I need to do? Thanks

Talk to who?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


If you have an actual diagnosis, then why not tell this information to the party that subpoenaed you? After they know your mental condition, they may very well not want you to testify. If they voluntarily agree to release you from the subpoena, then you wouldn't need a lawyer. Good luck and sorry to hear about your condition. I hope you have it under control.


It's possible, but depending on the nature of the case, the appropriate Motion needs to be filed with the Court and a hearing may be set to assess your competency to testify, including evaluation of your medical records and an interview with your psychiatrist. If it is important to you that you not testify, then you should hire an attorney.

The DiGiulio Law Firm, LLC. Phone: 888-540-4529 Website: Atlanta, Marietta, Lawrencevile, Duluth, Alpharetta, Buckhead The above answer is for general information purposes and is offered as a service to the public. Nothing on this or associated pages, documents, comments, answers, reviews or other communications, including the above post, should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation or relied upon as a substitute for engaging legal counsel, nor does it constitute advertising or a solicitation. Viewing the general information here, including your receipt or transmission of information hereof does not alone create or constitute an attorney-client relationship or ensure confidentiality. Please contact 770-309-9551 for additional questions or to schedule for your free phone consultation. If this question or answer pertains to bankruptcy, please be advised that we are a federal debt relief agency. One of our areas of practice is to help people file for bankruptcy relief and protection under the U.S. Bankruptcy Code.



Thank you

Lawsuits and disputes topics

Recommended articles about Lawsuits and disputes

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer