Could I be excused from being supeoned as a witness if I am disabled with Schizoaffective disorder ?

Asked over 1 year ago - Atlanta, GA

I am disabled with Schizoaffective disorder (cross between Schizophrenia and Bipolar I with psychotic features). Sometimes its hard for me to distinguish imagination, memory and reality. I also have severe anxiety in which I dissociate from my self and lose control of self. Could I possibly be excused from witness court and what would I need to do? Thanks

Talk to who?

1. Thomas Richelo

1

1

Best Answer

Answered . If you have an actual diagnosis, then why not tell this information to the party that subpoenaed you? After they know your mental condition, they may very well not want you to testify. If they voluntarily agree to release you from the subpoena, then you wouldn't need a lawyer. Good luck and sorry to hear about your condition. I hope you have it under control.

2. Ashley Anne Digiulio

Pro

1

1

Answered . It's possible, but depending on the nature of the case, the appropriate Motion needs to be filed with the Court and a hearing may be set to assess your competency to testify, including evaluation of your medical records and an interview with your psychiatrist. If it is important to you that you not testify, then you should hire an attorney.