Could I add myself as a co-sponsor on my husband's I-864 for my I-485? Can I self support?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Garden Grove, CA

I'm filing I-485 as an American citizen's spouse. I have a valid EAD card, and currently work two jobs. My husband is self-employed with annual income about $ 20,000. Therefore, I wanna add myself in the Affidavit of Support. OR, can I file a self-support form? What is the kind of form for that purpose? Thank you for your help.

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Desiree B Dominguez

    Contributor Level 8

    Answered . You can add your income under item 24b of the I-864 regarding household income. You would need to provide evidence that your income will continue from your two current jobs after you have become a lawful permanent resident. You do not need to complete an additional form unless you have accompanying children. See the step-by-step instructions for the I-864 in the link provided below. (714) 871-4529 (714) U.S. 1 - 4 LAW The statement above is general in nature and... more
  2. F. J. Capriotti III

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . 1. the amount he must make is $18,912 ... thus he makes enough
    2. yes, your assets/income can be added to his form
    3. no, you can not self-support ... he must sign the form

    FORMER IMMIGRATION LAW PROFESSOR -- LEGAL DISCLAIMER: This answer is offered for informational purposes only. It... more
  3. Mary Carmen Remigio Madrid-Crost


    Contributor Level 18

    Answered . How many members are there in your household? If there are only two of you, your husband's $20,000 income should be enough. See the poverty guideline of 2011. Make sure your husband's income can be verified.

    Madrid Crost Law Group - (888) 466-4478; e-mail:; skype: usvisalaw 10 S. La Salle Street,... more
  4. Robert K D'Andrea

    Contributor Level 10

    Answered . You are allowed to include your income on Form I-864, as long as you can show that your income will continue after you become a permanent resident.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

23,014 answers this week

2,712 attorneys answering

Legal Dictionary

Don't speak legalese? We define thousands of terms in plain English.

Browse our legal dictionary