Could I add myself as a co-sponsor on my husband's I-864 for my I-485? Can I self support?

Garden Grove, CA |

I'm filing I-485 as an American citizen's spouse. I have a valid EAD card, and currently work two jobs. My husband is self-employed with annual income about $ 20,000. Therefore, I wanna add myself in the Affidavit of Support. OR, can I file a self-support form? What is the kind of form for that purpose? Thank you for your help.

1. the amount he must make is $18,912 ... thus he makes enough
2. yes, your assets/income can be added to his form
3. no, you can not self-support ... he must sign the form

FORMER IMMIGRATION LAW PROFESSOR -- LEGAL DISCLAIMER: This answer is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship.

You can add your income under item 24b of the I-864 regarding household income. You would need to provide evidence that your income will continue from your two current jobs after you have become a lawful permanent resident. You do not need to complete an additional form unless you have accompanying children. See the step-by-step instructions for the I-864 in the link provided below. (714) 871-4529 (714) U.S. 1 - 4 LAW The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo are only general answers, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they are not comprehensive and may or may not apply to the question.

How many members are there in your household? If there are only two of you, your husband's $20,000 income should be enough. See the poverty guideline of 2011. Make sure your husband's income can be verified.

Madrid Crost Law Group - (888) 466-4478; e-mail:; skype: usvisalaw 10 S. La Salle Street, Suite 3320, Chicago, IL 60603 Please consult with a licensed immigration professional to provide you with a thorough legal advice. This response is not a substitute for specific legal advice and it should not be construed to create an attorney-client relationship. Please help stop notario fraud. Please visit and share this site:

You are allowed to include your income on Form I-864, as long as you can show that your income will continue after you become a permanent resident.

Form I-130 (alien relative) topics

Recommended articles about Form I-130 (alien relative)