Could an employer terminate/refuse employment for wearing a headscarf?

Asked 4 months ago - Statesville, NC

I wear a headscarf for religious reasons (a tichel) could an employer refuse to hire me because of it? I mean like is it possible for them to write into the rules of their dress code that headcovers are not allowed?

1. Robert J. Lingle

4

Answered . I agree with the other attorney's answer, but the employer is only obligated to accommodate your bona fide religious dress requirement if the employer has 15 or more employees, and allowing the particular dress would not pose a safety risk or conflict with applicable OSHA requirements.

2. Darrel S Jackson

Pro

3

Answered . Your employer may have a dress policy that precludes head scarfs. However, if wearing a hear scarf is a bone fide part of your religious practice, then your employer would need to make an exception to its policy to allow you to wear the head scarf, unless making that exception would pose an undue burden on the employer. Your employer's concerns about adverse customer or coworker perception is not an "undue burden." Good luck.

3. Randy Jay Harvey

2

Answered . If you work for a qualified employer under Title VII which is determined in part by the number of employees you are entitled to request a religious dress accommodation. You should review your specific circumstances with a locally licensed attorney such as my colleague who responded to your question. He should be able to guide you to an answer based on your specific circumstances.
    Best of luck!