Could a matured balloon mortgage be placed as part of the payment plan when the balance due is around 245k?

Whittier, CA |

Can't find options to refinance my home which I am hoping I can keep. I've also been trying to modify it so that it could convert into a traditional/conventional but up to this point, I've been unsuccessful.

1. You should consult with experienced bankruptcy counsel relative to your options for Chapter 13, but you would likely have a really high payment.

2. A balloon payment which is due during or, in some cases, prior to filing can be paid through a chapter 13 plan. How you propose to pay this amount, the reasonable likelihood of success of any plan, and your local court rules and case law would affect how much time you may have. In most places, it is not acceptable to propose to pay in the 60th month.
    Absolutely the type of question to review with an experienced attorney in your area.

3. Are you in bankruptcy because the other 2 attorneys are assuming as much? If you are not in BK and just asking if you can get a mod on your loan that contains a balloon payment, then the answer is yes. It depends on your lender/servicer, your situation, etc. but if you are in review for a mod from your lender, you can request an option that would contain a balloon at the end and see what they say. I handled multiple mods w/balloons in place (although I would say a balloon is ideal but if you are focused on getting back on feet for short term, it can help).

The information presented here is general in nature and is not intended, nor should be construed, as legal advice for a particular case. This Avvo.com posting does not create any attorney-client relationship with the author. For specific advice about your particular situation, please consult with your own attorney.