Could a lwayer determine how the money is split among the family in a wrongdeatseh settlement?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Chicago, IL

my mom died and her death is considered a wrongdeath,due to that the hospital offered a settlement,but i want to know how that works could a lwayer just determine himself what percent of the share everybody gets.Or could the adult children also have a saying?because supposely my stepdad said that the lawyer stated that by law the spouse gets 50% and the other 50% is splitted by the 5 kids is that true?i dont want my brothers and me to get rippied off,i think we should all get the share equally

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Alan James Brinkmeier

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . No lawyer can do a distribution, it takes a judge. And, as we said in your prior post, a 5o percent attorney fee would be highly unusual.

  2. Gary L. Schlesinger

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . go hire a personal injury lawyer now. usually they take one third of the recovery.

  3. Gary A Kester

    Contributor Level 17

    Answered . I am sorry for your loss. I am not in your State. Here is a link for you though which discusses your issue. The answer is provided by statute.

    I am an Arizona attorney. AVVO does not pay us for our responses. Simply because I responded to your question... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

27,934 answers this week

3,004 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

27,934 answers this week

3,004 attorneys answering