Could a lwayer determine how the money is split among the family in a wrongdeatseh settlement?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Chicago, IL

my mom died and her death is considered a wrongdeath,due to that the hospital offered a settlement,but i want to know how that works could a lwayer just determine himself what percent of the share everybody gets.Or could the adult children also have a saying?because supposely my stepdad said that the lawyer stated that by law the spouse gets 50% and the other 50% is splitted by the 5 kids is that true?i dont want my brothers and me to get rippied off,i think we should all get the share equally

1. Alan James Brinkmeier

1

Answered . No lawyer can do a distribution, it takes a judge. And, as we said in your prior post, a 5o percent attorney fee would be highly unusual.

2. Gary L. Schlesinger

Answered . go hire a personal injury lawyer now. usually they take one third of the recovery.

3. Gary A Kester

Answered . I am sorry for your loss. I am not in your State. Here is a link for you though which discusses your issue. The answer is provided by statute.