Skip to main content

Could a 17 year old be charged with trespassing if they entered their estranged fathers house (unlocked) to retrieve a gift?

Canton, MI |

He was never told he was not welcome at his fathers house and the item he retrieved was a Christmas gift.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


Based on the facts you provided, he could be charged for Trespass under MCL 750.552(1)(a). On the other hand, if he is charged with Illegal Entry under 750.115, he may have a defense if his purpose in entering the premises was to retrieve property that belonged to him.

At age 17, he is considered to be an adult for charging purposes. Clearly this is a complicated issue that should be handled by a competent and experienced attorney.


The prosecutor will have a difficult time proving the necessary element of 'intent' aka as "mens rae"

You (he) will need a good criminal defense attorney in Michigan to help you keep this charge from moving forward and blemish his record for the rest of his life.

Contact Attorney Daniel Hajji for a consultation. There is no charge for this consultation.

Criminal defense topics

Recommended articles about Criminal defense

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer