Could you get a lawsuit if a car stops in the middle of a highway?

Asked 9 months ago - Smyrna, GA

While i was driving home on the highway this car in front of me just stopped in the middle of the highway so i tried to go around it and i tipped it then a car behind me hit it then the hit me then i got real bad whiplash...

1. Glen Edward Ashman

Pro

14

Answered . Your post is very confusingly worded, but it sounds like you are likely the cause of the accident (following too close or improper passing), which would mean others may be suing you and you need to report it to your insurer to defend you. Because some of the post is so confusing, call a lawyer to discuss what happened and who has a case against whom, and do that before you talk to any insurer.

2. John Michael Phillips

13

Answered . There can be a claim if the car in the intersection was over 50% at fault. Give a personal injury lawyer a call. One of us would be happily to talk with you.

Pro

14

Answered . Multi-car accidents are complex, and it is best to retain a personal injury lawyer to sort it out.

4. Aaron P. Marks

12

Answered . I am sorry to hear that you were hurt in an accident. Whenever you are injured as a result of another person’s negligence (carelessness), you may be entitled to compensation for (1) medical bills, (2) lost wages, (3) pain and suffering, (4) any permanent injury or disfigurement, and (5) inconvenience and loss of enjoyment of life. However, from the limited information you have given me, it is impossible for me to determine whether the accident was your fault, or the fault of one of the other drivers, or some combination. Multi-car accidents are complicated, and you should probably talk to a personal injury attorney who has experience with car accident cases as soon as possible. An initial consultation is free, and an attorney will be able to tell you what steps to take next.
    Even if you are partly responsible for the accident, you can still file suit, although you may be able to recover less in damages. This is called comparative fault or comparative negligence. In Georgia, if you are injured in an accident, you can only recover if you are less than 50% responsible for the accident. The court determines the percentage of the person’s own fault. If the plaintiff is 50% or more responsible, then any recovery is prohibited. If the plaintiff is 49% (or less) responsible, then the damages are reduced proportionally.
    Regarding your whiplash injury, if you have a doctor or other health provider that you see regularly, you should definitely make an appointment as soon as possible. If you do not have health insurance or the means to pay for medical care, a personal injury attorney may be able to help you see a local doctor. For example, I have been able to arrange for many of my clients to obtain medical treatment at no cost to them, with the understanding that the client will reimburse the treatment providers once the case settles or we win at trial.
    In the meantime, please do not speak to anyone (in person or over the phone), except police, about the accident without an attorney present. Insurance adjusters are trained to minimize the damages an injured party can recover and may try to get you to admit fault in the accident. I wish you the best of luck.

5. C. Donald Briggs III

Pro

11

Answered . You may or may not have a claim, depending on exactly what happened here. You should consult with an experienced personal injury lawyer, explain all the facts to the lawyer and find out if you have a viable claim.