Costs

Asked over 1 year ago - Lakeland, FL

What's the average court cost and fines for petty theft? Attorney costs?

1. Evan Mitchell Kleiman

4

Answered . Attorney fees will vary based upon experience of the attorney, reputation, geographical area etc. Court cost for a petit theft will also vary based on the judge, county and prosecutor. If this is a first time offense, you may want to explore if Pre Trial Intervention (P.T.I.) is available to you. Upon successful completion of P.T.I. the State will drop the charges and you may be eligible to have your record expunged. This will help you in the long run as far as employability. I would consult with two three attorneys in your area and see which one is best for you. Most attorneys offer a free initial consultation in these matters. I hope that helps. Good Luck.

2. William David Umansky

Pro

3

Answered . Attorney fees are based on a number of factors including experience, reputation, and a number of other factors. You can call a number of them and get a range. Just remember a lawyers time is his or money and the cheaper you spend the less likely the lawyer will spend time on your case. Find one that is within your budget but do not base your decision on price alone. costs are fixed by statute and fines usually range from 100 dollars to 500 dollars on average. Of course, could be more or less depending on a number of factors.

3. Amber Hill

Pro

3

Answered . Court costs will be lower if you get a withhold of adjudication. Attorney costs can vary significantly based on which attorney you hire and are based on a variety of factors. The best resolution for you case is the most important thing to consider at this time. You can recover from spending additional money on an attorney, but it is extremely difficult to recover from the outcome of your case if you hire the wrong attorney.