Lakeland, FL |
Filed under: Criminal defense

What's the average court cost and fines for petty theft? Attorney costs?

Attorney fees will vary based upon experience of the attorney, reputation, geographical area etc. Court cost for a petit theft will also vary based on the judge, county and prosecutor. If this is a first time offense, you may want to explore if Pre Trial Intervention (P.T.I.) is available to you. Upon successful completion of P.T.I. the State will drop the charges and you may be eligible to have your record expunged. This will help you in the long run as far as employability. I would consult with two three attorneys in your area and see which one is best for you. Most attorneys offer a free initial consultation in these matters. I hope that helps. Good Luck.

An attorney/client relationship is NOT established simply by virtue of The Law Offices of Evan M. Kleiman, P.A. answering any questions herein. Such a relationship will only be established by a formal agreement between the parties.

Attorney fees are based on a number of factors including experience, reputation, and a number of other factors. You can call a number of them and get a range. Just remember a lawyers time is his or money and the cheaper you spend the less likely the lawyer will spend time on your case. Find one that is within your budget but do not base your decision on price alone. costs are fixed by statute and fines usually range from 100 dollars to 500 dollars on average. Of course, could be more or less depending on a number of factors.

Please be advised that answering your questions does not establish an attorney-client relationship with myself or my firm. We would be more than happy to set up a free consultation if you call us at 407-588-6714 and specifically mention AVVO or email me at and put AVVO in the subject line.

Court costs will be lower if you get a withhold of adjudication. Attorney costs can vary significantly based on which attorney you hire and are based on a variety of factors. The best resolution for you case is the most important thing to consider at this time. You can recover from spending additional money on an attorney, but it is extremely difficult to recover from the outcome of your case if you hire the wrong attorney.