Correcting Court Transcript inaccuracies

New York, NY |

I received a court transcript of one of my hearings, and a phrase uttered by the Judge has been deleted. He said "I don't want to be the Judge who ends up on the cover of the New York Post because I allowed this to Go On".

I remember these specific words, and when I talked to the Court reporter she became very defensive that they were never said, though I know for fact that they were. ]

How do I obtain her notes rather than her finished product transcript? What office does one go to to get these records? ( the case is in New York State Supreme Court, New York County at 60 Centre Street.

Challenging the court reporter's transcript is virtually impossible. I concur with Mr. Brinkmeier -- if there is an audio tape that would be your only hope. Your recollection of what was said is not the official record of the proceedings. The audio tape is not the official record either, but at least is has the virtue of being objective. No matter what you heard, your recollection of what the Court said will never beat the court reporter's version unless you can find objective evidence to show an omission or an error in the transcript. The court reporter's transcript, one attested and sealed by the court reporter who prepared the transcript, is the official version of what happened in Court so you have a pretty tough row to hoe in trying to get that set aside.

You are likely going to need an attorney's help in getting the audio tapes (if they exist). Somebody known to the Court staff and a 'repeat player' somebody who comes before the Court regularly might be able to get a copy or a listen just for the asking.

Good luck!

The court reporter only records what is on the record.

You cannot obtain the court reporter notes. Some courts have an audio backup. Try that.

You have to make a motion to resettle the record.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and have been doing criminal defense work for over 16 years. I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012 and 2013. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. Martindale-Hubbell has given me its highest rating - AV Preeminent - in the areas of Criminal Law, Personal Injury, and Litigation. According to Martindale-Hubbell”AV Preeminent is a significant rating accomplishment - a testament to the fact that a lawyer's peers rank him or her at the highest level of professional excellence." Fewer than 8% of attorneys achieve an AV Preeminent rating. I also have the highest ranking – “superb” – on Avvo. Feel free to check out my web site and contact me. The above answer, and any follow up comments or emails is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.

Recommended articles about Divorce