Corporation checking account

Asked over 5 years ago - Chicago, IL

Can a bank refuse or ignore to take off a signee for a coporation who opened it without the corporation knowing after they received a corporate resolution showing the signee was no longer a director and requesting for the account to be closed.

1. Christopher R. Minelli

Answered . What were the reasons for the bank's refusal to close the account? It does not strike me as unusual provided they had some other reason (such as a requirement that something more than a corporate resolution be provided, or that a bank policy required a specific procedure which was not followed). I say it is not unusual because a corporate director, as a matter of common law, is "cloaked with authority" to conduct daily business on behalf of the corporation. Therefore, if the bank did not raise questions or refuse to close the account it may be violating applicable law.

I would ask the bank to clarify its decisions and provide internal documentation as to why it will not close the account with a duly-enacted board resolution.

Good luck!

Christopher R. Minelli
    Minelli Law Offices, LLC
    Chicago, Illinois
    (312) 214-7262

NOTE: This answer is not intended to be legal advice and should not be construed in that way. This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship and no such relationship may be created absent a signed retainer agreement. The author is licensed in Illinois only, and his answer is for educational purposes alone.