Copyright registration VS. granting a copyright.

Asked over 5 years ago - Milwaukee, WI

Is there a difference between receiving a copyright registration from the LOC and being granted a copyright?

1. Steven L. O'Donnell

Answered . There aren't two separate things in US law. I think you're confusing the terms, which is understandable with just about every legal term.

2. Boris Umansky

Answered . Notice: The below is for educational and informational purposes only, is not a reflection on or a representation of any views or opinions held by my employer, and should not be construed as legal advice. Nothing herein is meant to create an attorney-client relationship.

I generally do not use the wording "granted a copyright", but it sounds like this may be the same thing as a "copyright registration" granted by the U.S. Copyright Office. Remember, in the U.S., a creator of an original work of authorship owns the copyright in his/her work as soon as it is fixed in a tangible form of expression. There is no requirement for copyright registration as copyright protection is secured once the work is created and fixed for the first time. However, copyright registration provides certain advantages to the copyright owner, including the right to sue for infringement, and the potential for obtaining statutory damages and attorneys fees if successful in a court action.