Copyright re: Facebook and Pinterest

I saw the following on a page at Facebook and I was wondering if it has any legal authority.

PRIVACY NOTICE: Warning - any person and / or institution and / or Agent and / or Agency of any governmental structure including but not limited to the United States Federal Government also using or monitoring this website or any of its associated sites DO NOT have my permission to use any of my profile information nor any of the content contained herein including, but not limited to my photos, and / or the comments made about my photos or any other "picture" of art posted on my profile. You are hereby notified that it is strictly prohibited to disclose, copy, distribute, disclose or take any other action against me with regard to this profile and the contents herein. The previous prohibitions als

• The previous prohibitions also apply to your employee, agent, student, or any personnel under your direction or control. The contents of this profile are private and confidential information and sensitive. The violation of my personal privacy is punishable by law. UCC 1-103 1-308

I'm assuming that this was attached to someone's profile. This, per se, has no legal effect, although some of the statements are supported by law. You cannot take photographs or copyrightable expression for your own use from someone else's profile. That would be copyright infringement.
However, once you put information out into the public domain, you cannot shield it from being used. If a person were to post on their website news like "went to the store, then held up the bank," then there is nothing they can do to prevent someone from using that information.

www.bayoaklaw.com. 510-208-5500. This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship. It is not legal advice, because it is only of a general nature. Please contact a lawyer qualified in your jurisdiction to discuss your situation in confidence, using your factual details. Avvo answers are only general legal responses. Item 9 of Avvo.com's Terms and Conditions are incorporated in this disclaimer as though it were printed here.

Bruce E. Burdick

Bruce E. Burdick

My guess is this was a question in a Copyright law course and this comes from a student trying to get us to answer his homework questions. The UCC reference looks like something a law professor would stick in as a joke or hint.

The US government does not need "your" consent to see what you post in public. Citing the Uniform Commercial Code also makes them look like idiots.

The above is general legal and business analysis. It is not "legal advise" but analysis, and different lawyers may analyse this matter differently, especially if there are additional facts not reflected in the question. I am not your attorney until retained by a written retainer agreement signed by both of us. I am only licensed in California. See also avvo.com terms and conditions item 9, incorporated as if it was reprinted here.

Bruce E. Burdick

Bruce E. Burdick

As does telling the CIA and FBI what they can and cannot do with your personal information. They will no doubt laugh at this dumb warning.

Bruce E. Burdick

Bruce E. Burdick

Note, Michael, this is probably the law student from LA back with his latest Copyright law course question for us to answer.

As stated by my colleague, the information contained in the disclaimer cites some applicable laws, but the fact that they included this disclaimer has no legal weight.

That must be a joke. Here's another.

NON-ARREST/NON-TAX NOTICE: To any government entity. I do not give you permission to arrest me or make me pay taxes.

NON-REPRESENTATION NOTICE: To the Congress. I withdraw any permission for you to represent me. You do not represent me. I give you no permission to vote on any legislation on my behalf.

I am not your lawyer and you are not my client. Free advice here is without recourse and any reliance thereupon is at your sole risk. This is done without compensation as a free public service. I am licensed in IL, MO, TX and I am a Reg. Pat. Atty. so advice in any other jurisdiction is strictly general advice and should be confirmed with an attorney licensed in that jurisdiction.

Michael Charles Doland

Michael Charles Doland

On the (non-existant) Avvo list of "best sense of humor", you are surely in the top 5. The quality of your IP answers speak for themselves.

This is bull and meaningless. If a person posts content publicly, it can be seen and used publicly. The law cited covers sales and business transactions and has no effect on privacy.

Also, people in Nigeria are not trying to send you money. There is a lot of scammy misinformation on the net.

Copyright infringement topics