Skip to main content

Copy of my I140

Chicago, IL |


Well I have my valid H1B visa for the next 1.5 years. I already have used my two 3-year H1B's and using my current H1B after my labor and I140 approval (approved in Mar 2013). I am changing my employer now. The issue is my employer didn't give me the copy of my approved I140. So, I wanted to know

1. If there's anyway I can request that copy of my I140 and approved labor certificate from the USCIS? Does the Freedom of Information Act and Privacy Act helps in this case?

2. DO I even need the copy of my previous approved 140 if I change my employer and proceed with my current priority date?

Kindly put your experience and thoughts in this.

Appreciate your time.

Attorney Answers 4

  1. I have recategorized your question to Immigration, from Workers' Compensation, so you will receive competent answers. This is definitely nothing to do with workers' comp.

    Stephen L. Hoffman
    Law Office of Stephen L. Hoffman LLC
    Chicago, IL

    This answer posted on Avvo is for informational and educational purposes only. There is no attorney-client relationship created or formed and you should not rely on this as legal advice. The suggestion is made that if you wish to protect your rights, you consult with an attorney immediately.

  2. To avoid further obvious confusion in your important to you matter, present the above excellent question to your attorney of record to determine how to proceed.

    DISCLAIMER The answer given above by the lawyer serves for educational purposes only and provides general information and a basic understanding of the applicable law. Take notice that the answer above does not create an attorney-client relationship as this website is not intended to provide anyone a specific legal advice. Anyone using the site expressly consents that there is no attorney client privilege between any person and any attorney responding. Further take notice that the site should not be used as a crude substitute for any professional and competent legal advice by a licensed professional attorney in the applicable jurisdiction. The attorney above attempted to provide competent professional information, however, the law and its applications may change frequently and vary greatly from other U.S. jurisdictions and locales. Therefore, any information and materials provided above are general in nature, and may not apply to specific factual and legal circumstances related to one's personal legal issues. Contact an experienced lawyer admitted to practice in your State under an attorney-client privilege to further receive a competent legal advice before making any important decisions about your particular legal issue. For further inquiries please contact: Attorney Alexander Ivakhnenko 1021 West Adams, 102, Chicago, Illinois 60607 773-562-8602

  3. You need the i-140 is needed to do many things so you should get it if you can.

Immigration topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics