Cops completely embellished and skewed report, can I demand an accurate accounting of the fact?

Asked about 1 year ago - Los Angeles, CA

I was the alleged victim of domestic violence. The officer on scene talked to me very briefly . Shockingly, when I saw the police report it consisted of multiple errors, omissions, and complete misrepresentations as to my supposed "statement". Is there anything I can do?

1. Oscar Ernesto Toscano

4

Answered . Write a letter to the watch commander and request the report to be corrected with a copy of the letter to the police officer. Nothing will be done but at least you have your letter setting the record straight. If there is a case filed against you, you have the letter to impeach the officer when he testified.
    If you still want to do more, then write a letter to the police captain and see that nothing gets done.
    OSCAR E. TOSCANO
    Los Angeles Criminal Defense Trial Lawyer

2. Peter John Marek

4

Answered . You are the VICTIM. The District Attorney may prosecute the defendant if they believe they have probable cause to believe that a crime occured. Your input to the DISTRICT ATTORNEY is helpful in prosecuting but not essential. Contact the District Attorneys office and make an appointment to meet with their domestic violence victim witness liaison so that you can give them the corrected facts. Be careful because filing a false police report can be a crime. You can also file a complaint with the police department and ask that your statement be supplemented or corrected. Good Luck

3. Nicholas Milan Loncar

Pro

3

Answered . You can contact the Police and the DA, but I wouldn't do so without consulting a defense attorney first. You may have an opportunity to testify in court at some point as well.

Best,

Nicholas M. Loncar, Esq.
    t: 323.803.4352 | f: 323.617.3838
    www.iDefendLosAngeles.com
    Nicholas.Loncar@iDefendLosAngeles.com
    Sunset Law Building | 1295 W Sunset Blvd
    Los Angeles, CA | 90027

4. Sharon Paris Babakhan

3

Answered . Your attorney can request an audio of the communication between you and the officer.

5. Kevin Keith McKain

4

Answered . You can request to make an additional statement, but it's unlikely to erase the first statement.