Skip to main content

Cooling off period for divorce in North Carolina

Irvine, CA |
Filed under: Divorce

Hi All, I'm an immigration attorney in California. My client was served with a notice of divorce filing by his wife's attorney in North Carolina. He does not want to contest the divorce. In California there is a six month cooling off period between the filing and the finalizing of the divorce. Is there something similar in NC? If he doesn't answer the complaint, does the divorce go through quicker?

Attorney Answers 3


Why don't you call the attorney in North Carolina to get your answer?

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree


A NC attorney is more equipped to answer this question than an attorney who practice in CA.

This response will not create an attorney-client relationship between you and Sarieh Law Offices, and is not intended to serve as a legal advice in your specific circumstances. This response is a legal opinion based solely on facts represented and you should not rely on this legal opinion as a legal advice. You still need to consult an attorney directly to fully protect your legal rights.

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree


Either you or client need to get in touch with an attorney in North Carolina but, I'm not sure I understand the idea of not contesting it. If your client doesn't file an answer, he'll be subject to a default judgment and will have no say in what the court does. Good way to hammered sometimes.

Attorneys on Avvo donate their time and your feedback is appreciated. Be sure to mark the "Best Answer" or Helpful" to your questions.

Mark as helpful

Divorce topics

Recommended articles about Divorce

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics