Skip to main content

Cook County Small Claims: Case dismissed w/ prejudice; am I (defendant) still entitled to appearance fee?

Chicago, IL |

Just completed a sub-$1000.00 small claims debt suit, represented myself Pro Se. Plaintiff filed motion to dismiss at trial, judge decided case was with prejudice. I neglected to ask judge to include refund of my appearance fee in her order.

Am I still entitled to a refund of my appearance fee from Plaintiff- even if no order exists? Is there any remedy at this point or did I miss the boat?

Attorney Answers 4

  1. Best answer

    You could file a motion for reimbursement but it really isn't worth the time and trouble. The dismissal with prejudice is a win for you.

  2. You missed the boat. You could ask the court to reconsider, but you're better off spending your time enjoying Chicago's fine weather or trying a new hobby.

  3. Unfortunately, you are not.

    The author provides the preceding information as a service to the public. Author's response, as stated above, should not be considered legal advice. An initial attorney-client conference, based upon review of all relevant facts/documents, will be necessary to provide legal advice upon which the client should then rely.

  4. The appearance fee goes to the County. There is no process to get a refund from the County. The only way the plaintiff would be required to pay your costs is if a contract provided for the party who wins to pay the other party's costs. Be thankful the case was dismissed with prejudiced. And the matter is now resolved.

Lawsuits and disputes topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics