Convicted of 3rd degree sexual assault in wisconsin in 1998, case was re opened and dismissed this year

Phoenix, AZ |
Filed under: Criminal conviction

arizona is still trying to tell me i have to register as a sex offender even though the case was re opened and dismissed in the convicting court in wisconsin. threatening me with jail if i dont register for a crime that was dismissed and am presumed innocent of.

i do have a state seal copy of the dismissal.

Your question is internally inconsistent because it says the case was "re opened and dismissed in the CONVICTING court in wisconsin." [sic] (emphasis added).

Did the court in Wisconsin convict you? If so, then you are a sex offender and you must register. Failure to register is a class 4 felony in Arizona.

Or, did the court in Wisconsin charge you, but never convict you? That is a completely different matter.

NONE OF THE INFORMATION PROVIDED HERE IS MEANT AS, NOR INTENDED AS LEGAL ADVICE. THE LAW IS CONSTANTLY CHANGING AND INFORMATION DISCUSSED IN THIS BLOG CAN BECOME OUT-DATED WITH THE PASSAGE OF TIME. IF YOU HAVE A LEGAL ISSUE AND NEED LEGAL ADVICE, CALL 623-936-1901 FOR A CONFIDENTIAL LEGAL CONSULTATION WITH AN ATTORNEY.

I was convicted in 1998 of 3rd degree assault, in September the same court I was convicted in re-opened the case and dismissed the charge.

Paul E Knost

Paul E Knost

This is an unusual situation, and I'm afraid I have to tell you to consult in person with a lawyer. I think it will depend on why the case was re-opened and dismissed. There needs to be an analysis about whether it was dismissed on state law grounds, or whether it was because they figured out that you were not the perpetrator after all.