Converting L1-B to L1-A Visa - Timeline restrictions

Baltimore, MD |

I entered USA on a L1-B visa in 2010. The role I was playing at that time was of a lead. I have spent 4 years on my L1-B visa and now my role is of a Manager with 10 employees reporting to me. My L1-B visa expired in 2013 but my I-94 is valid for 2 more years. Do I qualify for a change from L1-B to L1-A Visa? Considering that I have just 1 year left before I max out on my 5 years on L1-B, does the l1-B to L1-A have to be a premium processing? What is the duration to expect for the L1-B to l1-A conversion approval considering regular processing versus premium processing?

Yes, you do qualify for a change of your status to L-1A under the facts you cite. Better file for PP and you'll have two more years, this time in L-1A status.

Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.

Hello. Thank you for answering my question. As a follow up question, I wanted to know what will happen to my status if the L1-B to L1-A conversion is rejected by USCIS? Would I still be able to continue on my current status of L1-B based on my valid I-94?

Keep in mind that these papers are the property of your employer, not you.

Yes, the company's immigration lawyer (not a non-attorney in HR) can file the papers to convert to L-1A ... giving you 7 years, instead of 5.

Yes, premium makes the most sense.

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.

Yes. No. Maybe. All this depend on the specifics of the case. Talk to an immigration attorney who represents the employer. It is free, efficient and makes sense.

The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter,not should it be viewed as establishing an attorney client relationship of any kind.

Recommended articles about Immigration