Converting L1-B to L1-A Visa - Timeline restrictions

Asked 4 months ago - Baltimore, MD

I entered USA on a L1-B visa in 2010. The role I was playing at that time was of a lead. I have spent 4 years on my L1-B visa and now my role is of a Manager with 10 employees reporting to me. My L1-B visa expired in 2013 but my I-94 is valid for 2 more years. Do I qualify for a change from L1-B to L1-A Visa? Considering that I have just 1 year left before I max out on my 5 years on L1-B, does the l1-B to L1-A have to be a premium processing? What is the duration to expect for the L1-B to l1-A conversion approval considering regular processing versus premium processing?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Giacomo Jacques Behar


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . Yes, you do qualify for a change of your status to L-1A under the facts you cite. Better file for PP and you'll have two more years, this time in L-1A status.

    Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that... more
  2. Alexander Joseph Segal

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Yes. No. Maybe. All this depend on the specifics of the case. Talk to an immigration attorney who represents the employer. It is free, efficient and makes sense.

    The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed... more
  3. F. J. Capriotti III

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Keep in mind that these papers are the property of your employer, not you.

    Yes, the company's immigration lawyer (not a non-attorney in HR) can file the papers to convert to L-1A ... giving you 7 years, instead of 5.

    Yes, premium makes the most sense.

    PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

28,315 answers this week

3,055 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

28,315 answers this week

3,055 attorneys answering