Converting L1-B to L1-A Visa - Timeline restrictions

Asked 4 months ago - Baltimore, MD

I entered USA on a L1-B visa in 2010. The role I was playing at that time was of a lead. I have spent 4 years on my L1-B visa and now my role is of a Manager with 10 employees reporting to me. My L1-B visa expired in 2013 but my I-94 is valid for 2 more years. Do I qualify for a change from L1-B to L1-A Visa? Considering that I have just 1 year left before I max out on my 5 years on L1-B, does the l1-B to L1-A have to be a premium processing? What is the duration to expect for the L1-B to l1-A conversion approval considering regular processing versus premium processing?

1. Giacomo Jacques Behar

Pro

3

Best Answer

Answered . Yes, you do qualify for a change of your status to L-1A under the facts you cite. Better file for PP and you'll have two more years, this time in L-1A status.

2. Alexander Joseph Segal

5

Answered . Yes. No. Maybe. All this depend on the specifics of the case. Talk to an immigration attorney who represents the employer. It is free, efficient and makes sense.

3. F. J. Capriotti III

2

Answered . Keep in mind that these papers are the property of your employer, not you.

Yes, the company's immigration lawyer (not a non-attorney in HR) can file the papers to convert to L-1A ... giving you 7 years, instead of 5.

Yes, premium makes the most sense.