Skip to main content

Converting garage permit. How can I obtain one?

Chicago, IL |

I want to convert my walk in garage into a room. I was told I need a permit to do so.
Where and how I can obtain such a permit?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Apply for the buildin permit through Cook County government.


Go to city hall and apply for a permit. Call or go online first to check requirements, There are probably plans you will have to submit when you file.


First, you may want to check with your local Planning Department to make sure making such a modification is an allowable use within your neighborhood - it probably is. Otherwise, go to your local building department and let them know what you plan on doing to renovate. They will walk you through what permits you need. Generally speaking, if you are doing anything involving plumbing and electrical you'll need to hire a professional who is licensed to that type of work if you are not a licensed plumber or electrician yourself. Depending on how extensive your modifications are, you'll be required to have a building inspector come out and make sure all of your renovations are up to code. You might find this whole process a hassle, but in the end, it will be important to have everything approved and code-compliant in the event you sell your property one day.

My answers on are intended to help clarify the legal process in your situation to the extent possible on this website. Criminal law can be very complicated and very serious. Every case is different and my answers are not intended to serve as legal advice unless so stated. If you have been charged with a crime you could be placed on probation or face incarceration. Please contact an attorney if you think you need legal advice in a criminal matter.

Real estate topics

Recommended articles about Real estate

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer