Conversatorship for brother - VICTIM OF VIOLENT CRIME

Fontana, CA |

A friend's brother was a victim of a violent crime last week in the city of Fontana, CA. He has severe brain injury. His girlfriend has his car and his ATM (girlfriend is a suspect in attack as well) His daughter would liike to gain conservatorship over his affairs to be able attend to his affairs accordingly. The family has very limited funds and is seeing help from any agency or can someone please advise what they should do. .

Obtaining a conservatorship for your friends brother is an expensive undertaking. If the victim is without funds, the public guardian or social services may petition the court to be named his conservator. If the victim has assets sufficient to support him, the daughter can hire an attorney to represent her in being named conservator and the attorney is paid out of the victims assets.

Nothing contained in the information on this web site is to be considered as the rendering of legal advice for specific cases and readers are responsible for obtaining such advice from their own legal counsel. This web site is intended for educational purposes only. Michael R. Weinstein, is licensed to practice only before the courts of the State of California, and is admitted to practice before the United States District Court for the Central District and the United States Cou rt of Appeal for the Ninth Circuit. No information contained herein is to be considered applicable to legal matters in domestic or foreign jurisdictions outside of the State of California.

I agree with my colleague's answer. Also, I would add that adult protective services, a county agency, may assist in getting this matter to the public guardian where county counsel can file for conservatorship. Next of kin can also file, but I'd call Adult Protective Services or the police for possible immediate help. Taking advantage of a dependent adult or elderly person is a serious offense.

Legal disclaimer: Legal disclaimer: This answer is offered for informational purposes only. It is not offered as, and does not constitute, legal advice. Do not rely on this advice without speaking to an attorney in detail about your case. This message does not create an attorney-client relationship (760) 328-5073 (951) 934-0620