Skip to main content

Contribute delinquency of a minor, possession of marijuana, and possession of paraphernalia? first offender

Brandon, FL |

I was arrested Saturday for all of the above. the officer told me and my friends to have a seat and then proceeded to search us after we asked were we getting arrested, searched, etc.. the minor was 13 years of age. me and another friend where charged. I'm wondering if we will in fact face jail time or is their programs we could do. I am in fact a first time offender, I have a clean record and everything. please help I am in fact a little scared

Attorney Answers 7

  1. Most first time offenders are eligible for pre-trial diversion programs but that varies from circuit to circuit. You should contact an attorney to determine if you have any defenses available regarding whether you were properly detained and searched.

  2. You need to hire a criminal defense attorney ASAP. None of us can say if you will face jail time because having a 13 year old child involved in it complicates matters. You don't need to say anything online or to anyone but the attorney that you hire bout the facts of the case, but the specific facts of how the child was involved in all of this can have a big difference in how your case is resolved.

    For more information or to set up a free initial consultation contact the Mangrum Law Firm at 407-349-7474. This answer does not, nor is it intended to, create an attorney-client relationship. It is offered for informational purposes only. Please consult with a licensed attorney before making any legal decisions.

  3. Of course you should have a lawyer who you can speak to in a confidential setting, which means your attorney client privilege attaches which means he can't be compelled to testify about what you told him. He is the only person you can talk to who can be so compelled, so you really ought to QUIT writing about this on the INTERNET and talk to a lawyer asap.

  4. I am sorry you are in this situation. The first thing you need to do is consult with and retain an experienced attorney. This will allow you to discuss the case in detail and the attorney can give you proper advice. It will also relieve some of the stress and anxiety you are feeling. You may have some valid defenses. Also do not discuss this on this site any further or with anyone other than an attorney. If you need further assistance feel free to contact me. I wish you the best of luck.

    If you find my answer to be helpful or the best answer, please make sure to mark your choice. **COMMUNICATION ON THIS SITE DOES NOT CREATE AN ATTORNEY/CLIENT RELATIONSHIP.**

  5. First, contrary to what my colleagues are saying, you may not need an attorney. You can go to arraignment and see if the State offers you pre-trial diversion (PTD). If it does not, then you can plead not guilty and get either a public defender or hire a private attorney if the court rules you are not eligible for one. Depending on the charges, the judge may tell you that if you plead guilty or no contest, you aren't going to jail.

    Second, I don't fault you for being scared. However, you must approach this case as calmly as possible and make the best choices for you. If you want this to be over as quickly as possible, then choosing PTD or taking a plea might be best. If you want to fight the charge, then your attorney must conduct discovery and prepare for trial. Sometimes, these cases don't make it to trial because the State drops them.

    Third, if t any time you are uncomfortable with or don't understand what's going on, then you need to hire an attorney.

    Yours sounds like an interesting case, and you may have several defenses available to you, but you must decide what legal result you want and if you require an attorney to help you try to obtain it.

  6. I agree with my colleagues, you need to retain an attorney immediately. You may eligible for programs, specifically suited for first time offenders like yourself. Once you have retained an attorney, you can have confidential communications with the attorney regarding potential defenses, impact of same and other strategy issues. My firm handles these matters and offers free case consultations. Good luck.

    This answer does not, nor is it intended to, create an attorney-client relationship or constitute attorney advertising. Rather, it is offered solely for informational purposes. The facts of each case are different and unique, it is critical to consult with qualified counsel with whom information can be shared and assessed under attorney-client privilege, so that competent and quality advice can be obtained on which you can make informed decisions

  7. Depending on where the drugs were found and what statements you have made, you may be able to get the whole case thrown out if they are unable to prove "constructive possession." I generally advise clients not to take a PTI program unless and until all other avenues and defenses have been examined. You always want to save your one proverbial get outta jail free card. Whether you speak to me or somebody else, speak to somebody ASAP. Most of the criminal defense attorneys here in Tampa will offer free consultations. It appears that you may have some great defenses. Good luck to you.

Criminal defense topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics