Contractor ignoring us. Demand letter mandatory?

Seattle, WA |

Bad dealing with a contractor who did shoddy concrete work and who's been unresponsive ever since. We've had a few folks out to look at what needs to be done, and have estimates for repairs. FYI, the problems weren't noticed until the first rainfall and water began pooling against the house.

All calls have gone unanswered in the last month.

My question: Is a formal demand letter necessary despite his non-responsiveness? Or can we go ahead and take legal action? We don't have much time, since I found out his bond expires very soon.

Does the below answer apply to cases where mandatory arbitration is typically used (amounts under 50k)? I looked up the RCW code, and read that the notice required is 45 days, not 60. I'm a little confused. If you hire an attorney, they write up the summons and serve the party being sued and forward the documents required by Labor and Industries for filing. The summons shows the other party as well as the bond company how much time they have to answer the summons. The case shedule displays the final filing date for arbitration, with an actual court date assigned for over a year later. So, when does that 45 day notice to the contractor actually start? Incidentally, this contractor is licensed.

It isn't a demand letter, but you do have to notify the contractor and L&I that you plan to sue 60 days ahead of time. If he isn't licensed that is a whole other problem.

Hope this helps. Elizabeth Powell