Contractor demanding ~ $ k in back payments owed from S - Corp i sold . Can she pierce Corporate Veil ?

Fresno, CA |

a contractor is trying to obtain ~ $ k in back payments owed from a business i once owned . Issue is : I sold the company . Term of sale was no debt followed to new owner . Term of work with contractor was between her and the company ( NOT between her and me personally ) . T Here were NO personal guarantees made . Also , it's been 1 + years , and she's out of state . There no longer exists any entity that owes her money , b / c I dissolved the biz after selling , but can she pierce the corporate veil , and seize my personal assets to get her payment ? Company was an S - Corp .

This is going to depend on a lot of factors related to how you operated and the circumstances under which you sold the business. I would advise that you speak to a local business attorney and get into detail with him or her.

No information you obtain from this answer is legal advice, nor is it intended to be. You should consult an attorney for individualized advice regarding your situation. No attorney-client relationship is formed by my responding to your question.

This requires a very fact-specific analysis of a large number of different factors, including whether corporate formalities were observed. You should consult with a California corporate attorney as soon as possible.

The general trend in recent caselaw is that the corporate veil will only be pierced if it's demonstrated that the corporation was the instrumentality of fraud or other improper conduct. If the facts you relate are true and complete, I think it's very unlikely that a court would pierce the veil.

This answer is provided for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. I am licensed to practice law in the State of Delaware and this answer assumes Delaware law applies to the question unless otherwise stated. Unless and until we enter into a formal written engagement agreement, neither Berger Harris, LLC nor any of its attorneys represent you or have any duties toward you. This information is not intended to create, and receipt or review of it does not constitute, a lawyer-client relationship. Internet subscribers and online readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel. Do not send us information until you speak with one of our lawyers and get authorization to send that information to us. In some jurisdictions, this World Wide Web site may be considered advertising. Before making your choice of attorney, you should give this matter careful thought. The selection of a lawyer is an important decision that should not be based solely upon written information about our qualifications and experience. Berger Harris, LLC has endeavored to comply with all known legal and ethical requirements in providing the information found on this website. Berger Harris, LLC does not desire to represent clients based upon their review of any portions of this website that do not comply with legal or ethical requirements in their jurisdictions.